Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Power of the Picture Book: Debbie Ridpath Ohi


While I was growing up, my family didn't have the money to buy many books. Every week, my parents would take us to the library. My brother, sister and I would load up with books -- I still remember the secret joy of finding a book I couldn't wait to start reading. For me, the best picture books were ones that pulled me in, made me feel deeply, made me think.

I was fascinated by the imaginative problem-solving in Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel:



I was both horrified and delighted by Sal's mischievous inclination to disobey her mother in Blueberries For Sal. I also remember imagining how scary it must be for Sal to suddenly realize she had been following the wrong mother.


Swimmy was another favorite, not just because of the art (which I studied again before illustrating Sea Monkey & Bob), but because I was drawn to the spreads that made me feel scared and vulnerable. Even now, many years later, I look at those images and feel a delicious flutter of unease of somewhere deep down.


As an adult, I still enjoy reading picture books. And I'm still drawn to the books that pull me in, make me feel deeply, make me think. As a children's book creator, I want to help make these kinds of stories.

It's one reason I felt so lucky to be invited to illustrate Michael Ian Black's story, I'm Bored (Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers):


This was my first picture book, and I was overwhelmed by the response from young readers. This letter, featuring a drawing of the Potato character from I'm Bored, remains my all-time favorite:



When I was asked to illustrate the next book in the series, I'm Sad, I cried the first time I read Michael Ian Black's text. I also laughed. I think this story will affect adult readers in different ways, depending on their own life experience.


Click here to see a bigger version of the above sample image from I'm Sad.

Mr. Schu asked Michael Ian Black what inspired him to write I'm Sad, and Michael said:
 "So often, when our kids (or our friends or co-workers or whomever) are sad, our instinct is to try to make them feel better instead of just being there for them in a supportive way without necessarily trying to 'solve' their sadness. We all feel sad sometimes, and when we do, it’s good to know we have people (or potatoes) in our lives who won’t think any less of us for feeling the way we feel and who will still love us no matter what."
So many of the picture books I read as a child had a profound effect on me as I grew up, helping me become the person I am today. I'm so aware of this as I create picture books for younger generations, and I feel tremendous responsibility.

Picture books have the power to shape lives.


If you haven't already, do read over the wonderful Power Of The Picture Book posts so far in Kurt Stroh's blog. So inspiring!

Just a few:

Jess Keating's Mr. Blobby talks about some of his/her favorite picture books. Nancy Paulsen shared some of her favorite picture books, each offering an eye-opening slice of life. I loved the quotes from Kirsten Picone's fifth grade students about the power of picture books. Matthew Winner talked about picture books being mirrors and windows to readers, and the need for more diversity in children's books. Patrick Andrus talked about how sometimes a picture book comes along at the perfect moment, touching each and every reader. Mary Howard talked about defining moments in her book life. Don Tate shares how picture books helped him become a reader, and how he can now use picture books to tell stories that his younger self needed to hear.


Aliza Werner talks about picture books being a rehearsal for life, giving children a chance to experience different emotions in a safe space. Dev Petty points out how picture books are for grown-ups as well as kids. Travis Crowder shares how he asks students to create their own picture books, and what they learn in the process. Aaron Zenz celebrates picture books and creators that have influenced his life, and includes fan art (!). Travis Jonker shares 12 weird, wonderful things that picture books can do (that other books can't).

Deborah Freedman shares her thoughts on The Little Island and how it (like all her favorite picture books) all share something extra beneath the surface of their stories. Bridge Rieth talks about pumping up the volume in her classroom with a BookADay Challenge. Matt Tavares shares a moving moment from a school visit and its impact. Jason Lewis shares how his childhood hobby of collecting baseball cards helped prepare him for collecting picture books.


Michelle Knott talks about how the power of picture books is their ability to give voice, and how older students can benefit. Pernille Ripp talks about how how she uses picture books with her 7th-graders and how the picture books they read become who they are, a part of their story. Elly Swartz gives examples of pictures that help, comfort, guide, inspire and connect.

Thanks so much to Kurt Stroh for giving us all the chance to share about The Power Of The Picture Book!


****

Debbie Ridpath Ohi is the author/illustrator of SAM & EVA and WHERE ARE MY BOOKS? (Simon & Schuster). Her illustrations also appear in books by Michael Ian Black, Judy Blume, Lauren McLaughlin and Rob Sanders. Her next book is I'M SAD, written by Michael Ian Black and illustrated by Debbie, coming out from Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers in June 2018. She posts about reading, writing and illustrating children's books at Inkygirl.com. You can also find her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment